How to Teach table manner for your child
One of the students in ShinxIndia says, “What a hilarious session it was!!!”
It was a practical dining Etiquettes session provided to our students
where we gave a detailed handholding exposure on one of the very
The important aspect of soft skills: Table Manners”.
We covered all the possible aspects of dining in an exhaustive manner for both the formal and informal context.
Here is a brief overview of formal context:
> Napkin Etiquettes
• Place the napkin in your lap while taking the seat. Informal
context the guests should place the napkin after the host placing it
on his lap whereas in informal context the guests can put the napkins
without waiting for anyone.
• Put your napkin on a chair while leaving the seat temporarily
• After ending the food fold your napkin and place it to the left of your plate
> Bread Etiquette
• Always bread should be placed on the left-hand side of the service plate.
• It is broken using the half way fingers with the single hand
> Seating Etiquettes:
• After the host introducing all the guests he should guide everyone
to take their respective seats
• The central guest should always take the corner seat and the host
should be seated at the left side of the central guest
> Passing Etiquettes:
• We should always pass Pepper and salt together
• It is recommended to always pass the food from Left to right
> Handling Utensils
• Always put a knife on right-hand side; fork and spoon at the left side
• Put fork and knife at the parallel position while finished the meal
• Make sure that you are put fork and meal at the cross position while
> Taking a break:
• The glass for water or any kind of beverages should be kept at the
right side of the plate. Hence we should keep the glass always at the
right side of the plate to avoid confusions.
> Communication Etiquettes:
• There are various topics where all the members can have meaningful
discussion on. Informal context, it should be stick to the agenda
because a food is not the primary reason for dinning. In informal
the context it can be related to movies, music, sports, any kind of
trending topics, a common point of interest etc.
• We should not interrupt in between while others are talking. We
> should wait for our chance to start our conversation :
• We should make sure the food inside the mouth is not visible while
talking to others. We should have it after gulfing the food inside
To summarize it covered all the possible aspects related to the concept, e.g.;
welcoming guests, sitting posture, conversation starters, the way of
communication, frequent eyes breakers, the right use of table utensils,
the right way of helping others in the table, an appropriate way of consuming
food and bebrages for both formal and informal dining scenarios.
We hope the session will help the students to impressively present
themselves in an appropriate manner in any kind of social context. We
will continue our best possible efforts towards developing “Better